Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Arjun Nayyar


POP! Goes the Weasel
Tick tock..
Tick tock…

I am a baby; I lie there in my mother’s arms, yearning for the sweet nectar of life. Hungry for a comforting touch or a loving embrace.

The board is set…

I am an infant, learning to walk and aching for attention. Ever demanding, I will be the center of your world whether you like it or not. There is nothing more important than me.

The first piece falls into place…

I am a child, going to school with a frown on my face and a tear in my eye. I hate my teachers; they keep me apart from my mother. I envy the sixth graders; they seem so happy, so cool. I want to be like them.

The second piece falls into place…

I am a teenager. I will get approval through any means necessary. But man, life is hard! Studying for parents, going for tuitions, finding time for soccer practice and TV, I’m tired of it all. I can’t wait to grow up and go to college.

Another piece falls…

I’m a young adult now, and it’s not what I hoped it’d be. Assignments, teachers, girls…they all drive me up the wall. Life was much simpler back when I was in school. Maybe things will start to look up once I start to work.

The tenth piece…

I’m finally working! Making my own money and settling my own bills is a wonderful change. But I’m responsible for myself now. I hate my boss. When I get to his stage, I swear that I’ll treat my employees with respect. Maybe I should settle down with a nice woman.

The board is half full.

Married life is fun, but it’s hard to find a balance between work and home. It’s about time I found a better job. This place doesn’t deserve me anyway, this way; I can earn more, and keep my wife happy!

The fifteenth piece falls into place…

I don’t know how my parents did it, but raising a child is hard. My wife nags me all the time, and my employees are completely incompetent. But I have to see this through, for the sake of my kid.

Almost there…

My son’s settled abroad. He’s married to a nice girl, and has a large house now. I’m glad my efforts bore fruit, he’s finally happy! Now I can finally focus on myself and my sweet wife…but I can’t, still need to pay the bills.

Any minute now…

My wife, my nagging, beautiful wife is gone. My son won’t get back in time. My health is failing and my eyes don’t see so well anymore. I yearn for a familiar touch, I don’t ask for much, just a soft caressing of my cheek would do. Why am I alone?

I stare at the black robed figure welcoming me with open arms.
My wife is there…smiling, but there is sadness in her eyes
The puzzle is finally complete. I see it now.
65 years of life, and I never truly lived a single day
But now, I’m out of time.

Tick tock…
Tick tock…

No comments:

Post a Comment